More than a fifth of Facebook users have used the new live feature and the numbers are growing.
Back in 1952, the BBC used every camera at their disposal to cover the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Today, it would take one person with a smartphone to start a basic coverage of the occasion.
For the last two years, I’ve helped deliver video skills for comms training. Just lately, we’ve also offered skills and advice on how to use live social media broadcasts. It’s been fascinating to think how this can be used.
1. For election results.
2. For a behind the scenes tour of the art gallery.
3. For an advance view of the new exhibition.
4. For a Q&A on why you should apply for a job here.
5. For a first hand realtime walk through a scenic beauty spot.
6. For a tour of potential redevelopment sites with planning and regeneration sites.
7. For a trip to the top of the bell tower with a local historian.
8. For a public open day where you are demonstrating what you do.
9. For a public meeting with an opportunity to ask a question.
10. For a workshop on how to complete an application for a school place.
11. For consultation with residents in a geographic area where something new may happen.
12. For an explanation of what things you can do as a carer of a loved one who is struggling to get about.
13. For an explanation about what keep fit moves you can do in the comfort of your own home.
14. For a press conference.
15. For a talent competition.
16. In an emergency to keep people updated.
17. For a behind-the-scenes tour of a fire station with some fire safety advice.
19. For the view from the top of a mountain or hill.
20. For an event in a park.
21. For an event in the street.
22. For a street party.
23. For a tour of the museum stores.
24. For a an author visit to a library.
25. For a tour of the farm or urban farm.
26. For a chance to hear what the budget may entail.
26. For a Q&A on what council services a new parent may need.
27. For tips on how to encourage wildlife in your garden
28. For a walk around the town centre with a history expert.
29. For musical performances as part of a talent show.
30. For an explanation about what bin to use for recycling.
31. For a civic celebration.
32. For a tour of the Mayor’s Parlour.
33. For an update on what work has been done to protect a community from flooding.
34. For a tour of a river that’s been improved for wildlife with a wildlife expert.
35. For a chance to meet and ask questions of a senior politician, official or police officer.